Sports Experiences
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sports Experiences
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've been to two different types of live sporting events; the NFL and the NBA. I wanted to share about my experiences, who some pictures and videos, but I'd also like to hear if anyone else has been to a live sporting event. Oh, and I've been to an NHL game too...but...I don't count that. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So, I'll talk about the better experience first. If you want to go to a live sporting event, at least between the NFL and NBA, go NBA. No doubt about it. Several reasons.

Nicer atmosphere. If you have a family and you don't like foul language, don't go to an NFL game (at least as far as my one experience says). I've been to 8 NBA, only 4 of which I can remember in detail, because the first four happened when I was pretty young. Now, this may have something to do with the kind of people that go to NBA games, but the language with much better. Only once have I heard cursing at an NBA game, and that was just bad luck with my seating, and the particular opposing team, and all sorts of factors that I will tell later. It didn't detract from my experience then, but that was a) because I expected it for that particular game, and b) because in an NBA game, if you have a team that is good and sells out all games, it is LOUD. In the NFL, especially an open stadium, the stadium is so large that the fans can be really loud, but it's not all compact. You can still tell what people are yelling, and, there is a lot of downtime in a NFL game, where you just listen to the people around you. The NBA is fastpaced with few breaks, and during those breaks they can provide entertainment on the court that distracts people. But again, it's so loud, you can't hear what people are saying anyway.

Another thing that makes NBA games more fun. Every time your team scores, it's something to cheer about and if your team is good, they should score often. That means lots of cheering, compared to the NFL, were big plays may happen sparingly. You cheer for rebounds, steals, blocks. All sorts of things in the NBA. And that's why you go to live sports: To cheer for your team in person, where they can hear you. So cheering often is a must.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Stadiums I have been to: Land Shark Stadium (known as Dolphin Stadium at the time I attended), home of the Miami Dolphins, the Florida Marlins, and the Miami Hurricanes. It is the 6th largest NFL stadium, in terms of capacity, and it is HOT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LandShark_Stadium

I went to a Dolphins game. It was the first game of the 2008 season, against the Jets. My main objective was to see Brett Farve in what would be his first game as a Jets, and what I assumed would be the first game of the final year of his career. Razz I was wrong on that, but oh well. I have some pictures that I took, and video, from the game, but that is on a different computer, so for know I will show you some other pics and video I found.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
These are not my seats. Razz

What I saw: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80a99817/NFL-GameDay-Scoreboard-Jets-vs-Dolphins-highlights

The first touchdown as a Jet for Brett. And the second one was magical.

Last edited by Old Master Ben on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, Ben, I was gonna say: Those are some killer seats! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Maste Ben! Shocked Triple -posting, of all things!

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:

Laughing you're a funny guy, Reep!

I've been to some Yankee games when I was younger, with my dad and about 5 other uncles. Unfortunately, these were the late 80s Yanks, which weren't doing so hot. I've also been to a triple A baseball team game, which was fun, the local team(Bridgeport Bluefish) was having a family night; and the charity I work for was sponsoring the game, so the seats were pretty good. By the way, minor league team parks are pretty small, so you actually get to see the players, UNLIKE Yankee stadium. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been an extra at the movie "Waterboy", I've been to a few minor league baseball games, a few basketball games, and 2 Nascar races.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been to about 10 red sox games, but only once since the won the world series(two years ago). The tickets are MUCH harder to come by now that they've actually won something.

I've been to 5 celtics games. Two back in the days of Larry Bird(yes, I'm that old). And three in more recent time once my son asked me to take him to a game(hey dad, take me to see the big green guys, it took me a while to figure out what he meant).

I've only been to one NHL game. Last year Bruins vs. Canadiens. All I can say is, WOW. I don't like watching hockey on TV. For the most part I don't get in to hockey or soccer because of the 1-0, 2-1 scores typically boring me to death. But live, Hockey was an entirely different animal. It went from one of the worst tv sports to the best live sport in my eyes.

As for the NFL, I've only been to one game. Pats vs. Colts in Indianapolis when they were both awful. I was in college in Iowa and several of us east coast guys rented a van and went to the game with my best friend(an Indiana guy). However all we really managed to do was get rediculously drunk and I have very little recall of the game, other than having an awful perspective from the end zone seats.

I'm not a racing fan at all, but just for the experience a bunch of us(again, my best bud from Indy) went to the Indy 500. Three prevailing thoughts:

1) That was an amazing amount of people to watch cars drive in circles.
2). LOUD(especially with a hangover).
3). On TV, you see the cars going in a big circle, in person, you only see an extremely small portion of the track and the cars are basically a blur.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

jedipoodoo wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Laughing you're a funny guy, Reep!

Why thank you, JP. Smile I go to see most Kitchener Rangers games, but you've probably never heard of them. They're in the OHL (Ontario Hockey League), which is one of the leagues players are in before they go to the NHL. I actually enjoy juinor hockey more, because the players are more energetic, in the NHL they're kinda slow. Maybe it's just me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have been to NFL, NBA, and MLB games.

I like baseball games the best. Smile I have been to a ton of Nationals games - man are they bad. My wife got us tickets to a Nats game at the old stadium and we got to sit a few rows back from home plate. I could see the pitches coming into the catcher - so kriffing awesome! I have seen one Rockies games since I moved. Rockies fans are the best! Go Rockies!

NFL: I have only seen the Washington Redskins - I don't really like fed ex field but I still had a good time at both games I went too. Now that I am in Denver I am hoping to see some Broncos games at some point.

NBA: I have seen the Trailblazers and the Wizards. I got free FLOOR tickets to a wizards game. It was amazing - right behind the basket. We could stick our hand down at our feet and see them on the jumbo-tron. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just went to my first football game! It was for my college, Southeastern Louisiana University. They're the Lions, the Green and Gold. And they won! I was so excited. It's only the second time they've won against Sam Houston State since 1978! Of course, I didn't know until today that there was no team from 1985-2003. Confused

Anyway, I had a great time, and here are some pictures and videos:

My team: The Southeastern Lions:

The final, beautiful score of 37-21:

Now for some video links:

I know you can't really see anything on this one, but just listen closely to the last 10 seconds or so. I think you'll recognize something. Smile

The theme the band played whenever our defense did something amazing, or just plain got us the ball back.

And in case you're wondering why there's no one in the stands, it's because it's the last few seconds, and many, many have left. Our side was still pretty full.

I don't know if you can really see, but this was a beautifully received pass by 82, Greg Johnson. Smile

A gorgeous touchdown by 88, Simmie Yarborough. We were already ahead by this point, but still a little scared. This made us very happy. Smile

Anyway, had an awesome time! Can't wait to go to another game, hopefully the Saints! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Those are awesome, Mara! I'm glad you got to see them win. And was that you asking your sister for a nacho in the second video? Wink

Can't wait for next month when I'll hopefully be able to go to a game! Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, that was me. She was headed for the concessions to get a funnel cake, and I was starving. Smile

Yep, can't wait to go again, either! And I'm so happy they won! I would have been so sad if they'd lost. Not only because they lost, but because it was my first game! So yes, I was very excited indeed. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

He he, I laughed when I heard you. Just thought it was funny. Smile

Yep, wouldn't want to think that you were bad luck for the team or anything. Wink Look like they gave you a pretty good game. Glad you had fun! Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

sports experiences....... um, I fell asleep while the NBA finals were playing on tv. Does that count?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2