Star Wars characters you don't like, or flat-out can't stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, the Jedi always say there's no such thing as coincidence, but running into Jar Jar doesn't imo mean that Qui Gon is specially tuned into the Unifying Force.

That was one of differences high lighted between Qui Gon and Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was especially focused on the Unifying Force (as most Jedi of that time were) and Qui Gon wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Highlighted by what, though? I guess it's a matter of interpretation, but I don't agree about that. It doesn't seem to be in the source material, IMO. I think it's an EU embellishment thing. I'll look through my Making of Episode I and see if it originated from Lucas; it might also be from the novelization.

Edit: I think where we disagree is, you say that Qui-Gon is skewed too much toward the Living Force, while the Jedi Order is skewed toward the Unifying Force. I think that the Jedi Order is too skewed toward the Unifying Force, whereas Qui-Gon has the right balance, but because he's not too skewed toward the Unifying Force the Jedi Order think he's too skewed toward the Living Force. Their baseline is off. And I think that the Jedi Order is shown to be flawed in that sense reinforces that idea. And the Jedi do think he's too skewed toward the Living Force, but I think they are wrong because their baseline is wrong. So I think the argument that Qui-Gon is too rooted in the Living Force is an in-universe critique of him that's wrong. And I think Yoda in ROTS taking Qui-Gon as his master demonstrates that it's wrong.

But maybe I'm just a Qui-Gon fanboy, but coming out of the prequels I thought Qui-Gon embodied what Luke's Jedi should be. I thought Jacen at the end of NJO was going to become Qui-Gon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, I don't think Qui Gon is too rooted in the Living Force. I think he's not balanced to between the two aspects of the Force.

The OJO was definitely skewed, but then they had to be or they couldn't have been destroyed. I think this rests a lot on Yoda, and how he led. It seems to me by the time you get to ESB Yoda is much more in tune with the Living Force, and that goes back to the end of ROTS (novel) when he realizes the serious mistakes he's made, and that Qui Gon was right.

What I'm saying is this: they were all flawed because they were all -- guess I can't say human here, can I -- sentient. If Qui Gon had lived, I'm not sure he'd have been the great savior of the Jedi Order either.

I find a lot of symbolism in the last Sith apprentice destroying the last Sith master and bringing balance to the Force. This is partly why I have such an issue with the EU dredging up new Sith every time you turn around. About the only time I've liked it is with the Lost Tribe storyline.

Jacen = meh
Krayt = meh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cerrinea wrote:
I find a lot of symbolism in the last Sith apprentice destroying the last Sith master and bringing balance to the Force. This is partly why I have such an issue with the EU dredging up new Sith every time you turn around. About the only time I've liked it is with the Lost Tribe storyline.

Jacen = meh
Krayt = meh

Yeah I have to agree with you there.... for all the build up in Legacy... Krayt in the end was just a Meh. They ruined a really good Jedi in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not to mention that Obi-Wan got the blame for dropping the ball again. What a retread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If there is one Star Wars character I can't stand is it definitely Ashoka. And I didn't even watch TCW series on TV! All I did was to read her biography on Wookiepedia and listen to some of her recordings. Instant annoyment! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

She was annoying at the beginning of the show, but honestly she's gotten a lot better.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah I can't stand Ahsoka either. I may be biased though because I was against the idea of Anakin having an apprentice since the movie came out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like her more now. They're fleshing her out as a character better. Gave her a love interest in Lux Bonteri. Aged her, and gave her some more maturity. Gave her a cooler outfit (one that was sexy without being whorish, as opposed to the tube top).

While on the subject of The Clone Wars, I'll say this: I do not like Jar Jar Binks when he is being portrayed by people other than Ahmed Best. There are a few episodes (like Bombad Jedi, Shadow Warrior, and possibly Supply Lines) where Best does the voice and probably contributes to writing, and he's good. But there are others (most notably Dooku Captured/The Gungan General and Blue Shadow Virus/Mystery of a Thousand Moons) where someone else plays him, and it just doesn't work at all.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
While on the subject of The Clone Wars, I'll say this: I do not like Jar Jar Binks when he is being portrayed by people other than Ahmed Best.

So you're saying you like Jar Jar? I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's the worst Star Wars character ever! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Luke Skywalker. Whenever I hear that womp rat line I want to smack his whiney, arrogant, farmboy mouth.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
Luke Skywalker. Whenever I hear that womp rat line I want to smack his whiney, arrogant, farmboy mouth.

*le gasp*! How can someone hate a guy as cute as Luke?! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:

Daaang. He's, like, my favourite character. Shocked

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote  

Oh you cannot deny that Luke is whiny in A New Hope. He oozes naivety.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For some reason I don't mind it with him. *shrugs*

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 12 of 14