"You people have no imagination!"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
"You people have no imagination!"
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Something that has been bothering me lately (especially with school) is how people are so practical in this day and age. People don't believe something unless they can see/measure it. I'm not really into superheroes, but it's a good example: Superman has been practically discarded because he's too good and "magical" (can't think of a better word and people love Batman because he's gritty and realistic. Why are people like this? The other day at school this kid was saying that Jesus is over-rated (mind you he was doing it in a respectful way so I wasn't mad at him, just his influences) and he said walking on water is impossible. That was it, the only argument he had. The entire point of miracles is that they seem unbelievable and show God's glory. So, yeah, I'm just ranting right now, but it really irritates me how people just can't see beyond the world anymore.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: "You people have no imagination!"
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Something that has been bothering me lately (especially with school) is how people are so practical in this day and age. People don't believe something unless they can see/measure it. I'm not really into superheroes, but it's a good example: Superman has been practically discarded because he's too good and "magical" (can't think of a better word and people love Batman because he's gritty and realistic. Why are people like this? The other day at school this kid was saying that Jesus is over-rated (mind you he was doing it in a respectful way so I wasn't mad at him, just his influences) and he said walking on water is impossible. That was it, the only argument he had. The entire point of miracles is that they seem unbelievable and show God's glory. So, yeah, I'm just ranting right now, but it really irritates me how people just can't see beyond the world anymore.

Ah is this the argument you won?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No. I doubt an atheist would even listen to me about this. Laughing

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I read your post, so I think that's listening of sorts, so at least one of us is doing that. Wink

Oh, and I'm not so sure that you are right. Just think of all the TV shows with big or small fantastical aspects, angels, witches etc. Same largerly with movies. Even supposedly scientific ones need to add the occasional "science can't explain anything" plot turns.

Fantasy literature is and has been for some beating science fiction in sales. Harry Potters and Twilight and sequels. Dark urban fantasy seems to be very popular when I look at new releases on the Locus webpage - angels, witches, vampires and the sort. All tend to be set into normal world, just adding one or two fantastical elements.

And when you look at polls, you find that in fact scientifically thinking rational people are often in minority when it comes to things. Huge numbers of people believe in UFOs, re-birth etc and close their eyes from the reality of evolution and cosmology. Instead they want the world to have those fantastical elements, they want to believe just like Fox Mulder wanted... Wink

So, when I look at the same world as you, I see it saturated with ignorance and escape from reality. I think that lots of people make irrational decision not to confront the world like it is, but deliberately choose escaping into fantasy, tens of millions of people in NA alone waiting for a quick end of the world just about any minute now, others through divine action and others through other kind of apocalypse, perhaps through the hit of an asteroid or ancient Mayan prophecy coming true in 2012, and others wait for flying saucers in either fear or excitement.

So, in my opinion, the world is going to the wrong direction too - but the direction just being exactly opposite to the direction you lamented.
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
Dark urban fantasy seems to be very popular

That's another thing. Everything is so darn dark these days. People should really learn to lighten up. Rolling Eyes Even though vampires are technically fantastical, somehow the name doesn't seem to fit. Confused And, Rouge77, when you say that evolution is reality, I have to ask you has it ever been proven? Otherwise, it's interesting to hear your opinion because, you're right, it's the exact opposite of mine however don't go on talking like you're all-knowing and your opinions are law.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Evolution has been proven multiple times over. It's not just genetic and fossil evidence, the lifespan of many species is so small and the time between generations so small because of this that even evolutionary change is clearly observable in relatively short timescales in human terms (under 100 years).

Mendel did some of the work already, but there is the famous case of butterfly species in England changing their colour because of industrial pollution in the timespan of decades, but just introducing existing species to new environments (for fishing, to be game etc) has led to rapid development of new subspecies in just a human lifespan. Study of finches in Galapagos has shown that for example a little variation in beak length can have a huge difference, what was one year making survival hard and possibilities of offspring unlikely for some bird can in different circumstances - more rains, warmer temperature, whatever - next year be an advantage and lead them having lots of offspring and giving a change for this competitive advantage to spread in a population.

What comes to vampires, in our time Buffy the vampire slayer and her kin are just the equivalent of medieval stories of saints fighting demons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rouge77 wrote:
Evolution has been proven multiple times over

It has not been proven multiple times over. In fact, the more we learn in science, the more evolution becomes a ridiculous thing to believe in. This is a completely separate discussion though, so I am not going to expand in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If you wish to continue the evolution discussion, please do so here: http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=710&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
If you wish to continue the evolution discussion, please do so here: http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=710&start=75&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Thanks!

I had to ask Autobon something on the subject so I took it there.

Though is that thread about evolution? Or religion causing war? Is it realy a better place for the conversation? Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, we've had evolution conversations there before, so I figured it would be better to keep them there than to spread them out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1