A Tearful Goodbye
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Tearful Goodbye
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Forgive me for starting this out all mushy like, but: I love you guys. This has been one of my favorite places to escape to for the last couple years. I call you guys 'my friends' when I'm talking to others, and I often, in every day life, refer to conversations or things going on here. It's kind of like my Star Wars home away from home.

Now to the sad part. Ever since I originally got on the Cantina, my dad has disapproved. When I originally joined, I did so secretly. And I secretly posted and such for a good many months. Then I disappeared for a long time, which was when my dad found out I was on here and kicked me off. Then...I came back. I was older, and I figured there would be nothing wrong with it. Which...I knew in the back of my mind that he wouldn't approve, but I went ahead with it anyway. And so things went for the last couple years or so. I can't even remember when I originally joined, it's been so long. But I never let my dad know that I was here, until the last 6 months or so. When he found out I was back on the forums, though he was disapproving, he didn't say no. And I clung to that fact for all I was worth, and so justified my continuing visits. Just a couple of weeks ago, my dad even said that he didn't see anything wrong with me being on here every once in awhile. But, as you all know, I'm on here much more often than every once in awhile. I was so excited that he 'approved', though, that I ignored that part.

Now onto the next part. If you know my dad, you'll know that he is short on memory. He forgets that he said things. And he also says things he doesn't mean. When he said that he didn't see anything wrong with me being on here, I was shocked, but I thought nothing more of it. It has come to my attention (today) that he said so accidentally. He never meant to say that he approved of my visiting the Cantina. On the contrary, he really wishes that I wouldn't. It has nothing to do with Star Wars, or you guys. But he has always been afraid of online forums. It's a caution he clings to. And while I've known this all these years, I've always ignored that fact. My mom approved of the site, and that's all I needed for justification in my eyes.

While most of you may not agree with this next part, it's something I feel that I have to do. I'm not going to rest if I just let it go. And if I do end up being okay with it, it's only because I've gone cold to what my conscience is telling me. Which is what I've been doing in the past, and I'm not happy with that. This may seem like such a little thing, but little things always precede bigger things.

Today I've decided that I am going to have to take my leave of the EU Cantina. It's something I've considered ever since I joined, but I've never actually gone through with the idea. But here are my reasons:

1. I'm a Christian, and I do not feel that God would be happy with my continuing to visit a site while my dad looks on disapprovingly.

2. The Bible specifically says to honor and obey your parents. In visiting the Cantina when I know my dad wouldn't agree, I am deliberately disobeying and dishonoring him.

3. My dad and I haven't gotten along in years. We argue about everything. And I do mean everything. We couldn't agree on the color of grass if such a debate was started. And I honestly believe this could be an underlying reason. For the most part, I'm a pretty good girl. But this is a big thing that I've been doing in conflict with my dad's wishes. If I'm knowingly disobeying my parents, I can't see that God would be blessing that relationship too much. If that makes any sense.

4. While I'm a big girl now, I feel that while I'm living in my parents' house, I need to adhere to their wishes/rules. And being on here is not on the list of 'okay things to be doing'.

So while you may not understand that one bit, or while you may not agree with it, that's what I'm going to stand by. I would like to keep my account intact, as I don't wish for this to be a permanent departure. Just until such time as my dad changes his mind, and/or I get married or something. That may seem silly to some, but it's just a conviction I have. If I'm in my parents' house, I think I should abide by their rules. Once I live somewhere else, such as if I get married, I see nothing wrong with visiting the site. Cause you guys are awesome. Smile

It may be that I never come back here, cause who knows what life has in store. Or it may be that if/when I do return, most of you will be gone. But...that's what happens in life. It moves on, with or without you. But I really can't have something like a forum hindering mine and my dad's relationship. It's something I really would like to heal, and yet I've been unwilling to solve our biggest disagreement: EU Cantina.

This is nothing against you guys, and not to say that you're trivial or anything of the sort. But in all honesty, my family has to come first. I'm sure you understand. Smile

To those in the RPG, I apologize for having to leave you guys hanging. I'll stick around long enough to bow my character out of that story. To Andrew, I apologize that I'm going to have to hand the management of the Release Schedule back to you. It's my fault that I took the responsibility in the first place when I knew I shouldn't have. I'm really sorry about that.

I do plan to come back and visit occasionally, but I can't promise that it'll be often. The more often I get on here, the more tempted I'll be to rejoin. And that's another thing. I need you guys to help shoo me away if I start to go back on this. That may seem funny, but I'm serious. Sometimes I need help when I convince myself to do something. It's not always easy upholding a conviction you place on yourself, if you know what I mean. So your help would be appreciated. Smile

So, I'll shut up before this gets any longer, but to all of you guys: Thanks so much for the great times! I'm so sorry this had to happen, but it's my fault in the first place. I love you guys, and I hope I can come back one day. But whatever happens, I'm glad to have met all of you. May God bless you all, and so long.

`Mara Jade Skywalker
-Elyse

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: A Tearful Goodbye
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well Mara, stick to what you believe in. Sucks to see anyone leave, but I understand your Dad's pov on forums. The world is a sic place as much as it is beautiful. It's just too bad he sees the EUC as something to be disapproved of. I mean to say - you sound like you'd stay if he approved.

I think the only thing that sounds bad for you is that your Dad isn't embracing your love of SW.

My daughter is currently not liking it anymore (started a week ago) I know it's due to my sister and Mom- they feel SW is for boys.

Women who like SW are a smaller group then the guys. They need all the numbers they can get.

So I will support your decision! Good for you to decide and act- may it bring you comfort, and may your father and you grow even more closer!

May the Force move with you in your journey to peace!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara...

I hate long goodbyes, and as you're someone i'd consider a smart, kind, and wonderful friend I shall be brief. Vaya con Dios, I wish you could stay and I will miss you terribly, and may the Force be with you.

Sad Goodbye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sad YOu\ll be sorely missed!@!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Wow, Mara....I'm surprised and sad that you're leaving. After all, you're the one who told me about this site. I'll miss chatting with you on the Cantina, but I understand your reasons for leaving. So.....bye! You'll be missed. Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara! You and Sword were the first people I met on this site... Sad

I wish you well and I hope to see you again. You and Padme should come to SW Weekends sometime, OMB and I could meet you there.

Bye, Mara! May God (And the Force) be with you, always... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yo, Mara, your tearful goodbye was cool and all, and Im gonna let you finish, but Brett Favre had one of the best tearful goodbyes of all time! Of all time! -Love, Kanye West.

See the sad speech here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kACbVGsWN74

I sent you a PM, so yeah. Sad emotion there. I'll bring up the lighter matters here.

I agree with Joe. Come to SW Weekends, and happen to run into us. We can get Peter Mayhew's autograph. That is one tall dude. Don't know if you have ever been to MGM, but they also have the Indy show, which is pretty cool. Or, come to CV, which will be in Orlando. I have foreseen it.

I guess this means I have defeated Darth Elmo! May he forever live in shame that I, Old Master Ben, hath defeated him so easily.

Go Saints! I promise to root for them whenever they are playing a team I don't like.
Wink

Oh, and we are both 2-4 in fantasy football now! If we win every remaining game, we could be in the playoffs! Razz

Oh, and about Brett Favre. You know he came back 2 months later, right? Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

*gasp* Elmo! I'd completely forgotten about him! Guess he's dead. This day gets sadder and sadder. Crying or Very sad
I am seriously depressed.....I'll miss Mara a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

He's not dead. I still sense him in the Force. He's like the bad guy from Lord of the Rings. He will return, hunting me down. Shocked Quick! Someone take this ring off of my finger! I don't want it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm depressed about Mara and you're making me laugh! Cut it out! Wink

Who knows....Elmo may yet reappear in the Force. Just because we can't see him doesn't mean he's not watching.........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
He's not dead. I still sense him in the Force. He's like the bad guy from Lord of the Rings. He will return, hunting me down. Shocked Quick! Someone take this ring off of my finger! I don't want it!

Elmo proposed to you! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Don't let others decide things for you, no matter how much you would respect the person in question. Especially if you know things better than the other person, who hasn't checked and doesn't know how things actually are. So, I would say, respect but make your own choices. Sometimes we all need to be selfish and put what we ourselves like above what others want from us. In the end of the day, putting others' wishes before our own more often than not leads to unhappiness.

But, that said, good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Elmo proposed to you!

Ha! No, but why are you so shocked? He is still free, if that was your issue. Razz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing Free and watching our every move, no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

To everyone:

Thank you so much for the goodbyes, as well as the encouragement. They mean the world to me. I will really miss you guys! I even cried this afternoon when I was reading the farewell posts. But I know this is what God wants me to do, and so I have to go ahead with it. And I have to tell you, my dad was so touched tonight when I told him I was going to be leaving the Cantina...he started to cry. It's not that I'm leaving the Cantina that he was touched about. It's that I was honoring his wishes when he knows how much I've come to love this place. And it was just such an emotional moment...I was so touched that he was touched! Sad Smile

@IllogicalRogue: No worries, my dad is very supportive of my Star Wars love. He just believes 'all things in moderation' like the Bible says, and he thinks that I already love Star Wars too much. In other words, joining a Star Wars forum isn't going to do anything but heighten that love. Which, I understand. Even if I suppose that doesn't bother me. As we've all noticed. Wink

@Rogue77: I understand your viewpoint, Rogue, but this is just how I believe. So we'll have to agree to disagree. Thank you for your comment, though. Smile

@Everyone else: Love you guys! Gonna miss you guys! You've become some of my best friends. Have a great continuation of a great forum, and don't have too much fun without me! Wink

Going hunting for a few days. Don't be mad at me, Cantina People.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport

Page 1 of 3