Imperial Commando: 501st SPOILER THREAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you like it?
Karen Traviss brings it again!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Karen Traviss once more losses my interest
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
It was an ok SW book
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Well it's not going to count in the end anyway.....
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
I LOVED it! I look forward to Karen's last SW book the next one!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Imperial Commando: 501st SPOILER THREAD
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ok so it's out.

This is the thread to discuss your opinions of the book- though with a twist. I thought maybe we could discuss the chapters as we go as well. So When I get it and dive in I will begin my odyssey into the 501st!

You don't need to post spoiler warnings unless you want to. It's not necessary since this is the SPOILER THREAD.

So reader be warned there be EU spoils at work here!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Imperial Commando: 501st SPOILER THREAD
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm off to get mine right now!

And from the Prologue alone I'm on pins and needles to get this one done- I'm so bummed Karen will have one more and that is it....Sad

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Imperial Commando: 501st SPOILER THREAD
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Red armor....still not sure how I feel about that. I like how Scouts progressing. And how it feels less MANDOs rock then these Mandos rock but have to hide.

I'm enjoying Niner a lot more in this book then I normally do.

But Squad 40? Seriously! So much like the empire, or is it? It's funny to think Palpatine would take the Names of the Squads away, since we know some squads would later have monikers again. But for the clones this is a reminder of who the real boss is.

I'm so enjoying this book!

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote  

I don't know what happened, but I didn't like this one. Up to this point, I was on board with KT and liked the RC novels, but now, I'm a bit put off. Not a whole lot happened in this book, and what did happened didn't seem to really progress the series forward. With so many loose ends, there's no way she can wrap the series up in the next book, and that means there's going to be a lot of stuff that's not going to amount to anything.

First off, I thought she spent way too much time re-churning old ground. It seemed like every couple dozen pages I had to read why somebody didn't like the Jedi Order and how they're reasons for disliking them were justified. Everybody had an agenda and their agendas were constantly getting reiterated and tossed around in the character's own heads.

Then there's Kal who all the sudden seems to be slipping and at a loss for answers and direction. He's revealing the location of his base to people he knows he shouldn't be revealing it to. He's holding up in one spot when he knows he should be spread out. He's hating Jedi when at the same time he knows there are Jedi who are okay. People keep pointing out things he needs to be prepared for and he doesn't have a plan for it.

I don't know, but the way Kal comes out in this novel didn't set well with me. I also didn't like how heavy this novel was harping on the Jedi still. And some of the motivations of the characters wasn't adding up. It almost felt scatter brained. Like it kept going off the rails.

One particular thing, though small, that I didn't like was how KT did Melusar. Rather than having the guy come across as a great, trusting guy who captures our interest and liking, she tells us. It was almost like a cheap cop out. She just tells us how great this guy is and how everyone likes him or can see how likeable and trusting he is. I don't want to be told that, I want to be shown that. Give him some dialog that earns my trust and liking. Have him do something that convey those emotions and values. It felt cheap.

One last thing I'd like to address is Dred Priest. I don't see what importance he was to the novel, or to the series. His appearance seemed about as useless as Arla Fett. Neither of them add anything to the series as a whole. They just clutter things up and detract from the main story. I had hoped that maybe they had some sort of purpose that was going to tie in, but now I wonder.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked it better in the first half, anticipating it was going somewhere. Unfortunately, it didn't really go anywhere.

I think a lot of stuff was set up for the future, so either 1) lots of stuff will not be tied up, 2) stuff will be rushed, 3) the next/last book will have to be about 600 pages long, or 4) someone else will have to pick up these characters.

I don't really dislike much that happened and I don't mind the little sidelines(priest, arla), but the main impetus of reversing the aging and getting the family safe didn't really move anywhere.

I was completely shocked that Zey was alive(well, once his pick-up scene happened I figured it out quickly). And with that, I don't know what was gained by him being alive other than showing what Maze felt for him.

I understand Dar's state of mind. But for the rest of the main people involved to have that blanket Jedi hatred after being exposed to jedi that they considered acceptable seems a bit forced. Everyone in that crew by now should be judging jedi/force sensitives on their individual merits, more so than the unrelenting hostility. It seemed to get there by the end of the book, but I would think they already should have been in that mindset.

One last gripe: where he heck was Delta squad? Could nothing interesting be done with them? Doesn't Vau want to rescue them as bad as kal does Dar and Niner? They were barely mentioned.

All of this sounds bad. I did like the book overall(or at least the continued saga of these characters).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Got it, read it, and im slightly...disappointed, I thought at least SOME things were going to get resolved. I mean, i agree with most of the previous postings, it was good to see the continued adventures of the characters involved; but, it seemed that KT's heart just wasn't in this anymore, you know? i just hope that things get resolved, and not left half baked. Something in the tone of the books dealing with the Dark Times, it just feels oppresive, and perhaps that is what is having everyone questioning their stance. Dar's attitude adjustment was surprising! Kal's.. just let me down. Perhaps all this hate that he felt for nameless Jedi, it's being dissolved by being in close proximity to some of them. It's an interesting evolution, but as the general consencus was stated, not much happened. Vau should get off his shebs and try to get a message to Delta through Niner! So all-in-all, a slight disappointment, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote  

Yeah, no Delta was a big let down. I'm not sure if it's because their owned by a videogame still so she can't write them past this point or what, but not having Delta play a larger role just seems too out of place.

A 600 page novel would be awesome. That actually might be long enough for KT to wraps things up. I think at this point I'm ready for some closure. I want to see what happens to Kal, what his legacy will be for his clones. I want to see where the whole Arla thing is going to go, and what will happen to Dar and Niner.

And as sappy as it might seem, I want a happy ending. No Kal getting shot by some traitorous clone or Death Watch nut.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Yeah, no Delta was a big let down. I'm not sure if it's because their owned by a videogame still so she can't write them past this point or what, but not having Delta play a larger role just seems too out of place.

A 600 page novel would be awesome. That actually might be long enough for KT to wraps things up. I think at this point I'm ready for some closure. I want to see what happens to Kal, what his legacy will be for his clones. I want to see where the whole Arla thing is going to go, and what will happen to Dar and Niner.

And as sappy as it might seem, I want a happy ending. No Kal getting shot by some traitorous clone or Death Watch nut.

I don't know, dude. A happy ending does not seem to be in the works. As I've said with previous KT(RC) novels, this one may just end in tears.. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote  

I can be ignorantly hopeful. Cool

So what's the worst that could happen? Kal dies...Dar dies...Niner...Vau...we know Bardan and Kad will make it. And some of the Nulls. So evidently they did get an anti-aging serum at some point. So the worst is just how brutally she kill or punish that handful of characters.

Time to brace ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Obviously we know some of the survivors. I forget, do we know any of the nulls other than Jaing?

I'm betting ordo and dar do not make it past the next novel. Ordo going in a blaze of glory, dar dying doing whatever is stuck in his head that he needs to do to save Kad. I suspect niner will rejoin the crew.

But I'd be really bummed if there is no resolution to Delta. I asked over the the SWboards(without getting answered), where is delta's storyline in the game?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:
Obviously we know some of the survivors. I forget, do we know any of the nulls other than Jaing?

I'm betting ordo and dar do not make it past the next novel. Ordo going in a blaze of glory, dar dying doing whatever is stuck in his head that he needs to do to save Kad. I suspect niner will rejoin the crew.

But I'd be really bummed if there is no resolution to Delta. I asked over the the SWboards(without getting answered), where is delta's storyline in the game?

I could see Ordo laying his life down for Kal, but Ordo is Kal's favorite son so I can see it going the other way around too.

I guessing Dar is gonna turn it around - he is so full of hate right now. Too bad he cannot get a visit from a force ghost.

I have been thinking a lot about something:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think we have to spoiler this commander bly, but since you did

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara asked me to tell y'all that she finished Imperial Commando and was blown away. She said that Darman was breaking her heart. Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Mara asked me to tell y'all that she finished Imperial Commando and was blown away. She said that Darman was breaking her heart. Sad

Well tell her she is missed around here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3