Facebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am very close to giving in, guys...

The main reason being that there are certain people that I have a hard time staying in contact with outside of "the bookFace". I've pretty much decided to create an account, but it's so hard to give in to something you've resisted for so long. It feels like defeat.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't have one. Only reason I kinda want one is to get free stuff from phone apps I play.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Stay strong, Reep! You can resist. I believe in you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I get it. When I was young I used to always want to buck the trend too. But really that's silly. You can pick your battles to take a meaningful stand and it's not a value compromise to do something that is merely frivolous.

When cell phones became the norm, I refused to get one for years. I insisted on only using a home phone. Can you believe that?

You said it yourself, there are people you would like to connect to on FB. That's a good reason. It's better than not communicating with people that you want to.

For all the smack I talked, I'm on FB too for that reason. And I'm just as a paranoid as Cadeus. I don't use my real name, email, or professional info and put all my settings so only the people that I want to can see them.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I dunno. I use texting and email and instant messaging through email to keep in touch with people. If people really use FB for an email service on steroids than more power to them. I refuse to use it because I don't count liking statuses as "staying in touch". Nor creeping someone's photos.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I get it. When I was young I used to always want to buck the trend too. But really that's silly. You can pick your battles to take a meaningful stand and it's not a value compromise to do something that is merely frivolous.

When cell phones became the norm, I refused to get one for years. I insisted on only using a home phone. Can you believe that?

You said it yourself, there are people you would like to connect to on FB. That's a good reason. It's better than not communicating with people that you want to.

For all the smack I talked, I'm on FB too for that reason. And I'm just as a paranoid as Cadeus. I don't use my real name, email, or professional info and put all my settings so only the people that I want to can see them.

I use a fake name almost everywhere on the internet. I love internet anonymity. It gives you freedom you wouldn't normally have. The problem with using a fake name on FB is that people wouldn't be able to look you up (which is also the perk, I suppose, depending on who it is that is looking you up), so if I was to go on FB, I would use my real name. *sigh* I thought I was going to do it, but now I realize I'm far from decided.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Stay strong, Reep! You can resist.

I want to. I really do.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was a late adopter to it, and when I got it I loved it...for a while. Now I barely use it, except for group messaging with friends for planning potlucks and what-not.

I hate the alerts system. I keep getting random crap from people I don't know anymore.

But let me tell you one thing about Facebook, one thing that is so incredibly awesome, and that my love of it speaks badly of me: the friend purge.

Every few years, you go on Facebook, look at your friends, take note of the ones you haven't interacted with in years, and unfriend them.

It's like a burden gets lifted off of your chest. You have a power not normally afforded to mere mortals: the power to get rid of unwanted "friends."

In theory, Facebook is great for reconnecting with old friends, like people you knew in high school or earlier that you haven't seen in years. Conversely, if neither I nor they have made any effort prior to now to reach out, then it isn't a huge priority.

So yes, Reep, Facebook does have benefits, particularly for group social planning (also achievable elsewhere, like WhatsApp), but the need for it is slipping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I use a fake name almost everywhere on the internet. I love internet anonymity. It gives you freedom you wouldn't normally have. The problem with using a fake name on FB is that people wouldn't be able to look you up (which is also the perk, I suppose, depending on who it is that is looking you up), so if I was to go on FB, I would use my real name. *sigh* I thought I was going to do it, but now I realize I'm far from decided.

well, yeah, if everyone did that it wouldn't really work. But most people don't, so you will still be able to find other people by their name and mutual friends. Just use a name that's kind of like your real name so people who know you will know that it's you, but people who only know your name or other information and want to find it out, won't be able to.

Like if your name is Jason Sagel, call yourself Jason R. Seagle. People won't know the difference, especially if they never knew your last name or barely remember it.

But yes, that is a concession that you will have to make if you value privacy, people that you might actually want to search for you will have a hard time doing so. When I first joined I had all my info public and my real name and all that. I searched and added everyone that I knew or could think of wanting to find. After a while no one new really added on. Later on I had some problems with online harassment not related to FB and that is why I decided to make all my stuff private and unsearchable. Now like I said, I just seek out new people or add them if I see someone I want to add.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps I should explain my fear of Facebook so it is better understood where I am coming from. Probably not where you might think.

I stay away from Facebook to protect myself from myself. Sincerely. I am a very sensitive human being. I am not necessarily proud of it, but I get my feelings hurt very easily. Facebook simply contains too much information about where people are, who is talking to who, etc. I would read far too much into all of that and think myself into depressing places. I have done it enough without Facebook that I do not need the added fuel for the fire.

I would hope I have grown up in the many years since I made the original decision, but I haven't stopped to test that theory. Or at least I don't realize that I have. I distanced myself from all the people that caused drama in my life, and I am currently comfortable with really only one or two close friends. But I do not wish to tempt fate by joining Facebook and inviting all the "friends" back in. I am worried I wouldn't handle things well.

Does that make sense? That probably does not make sense. I have written and erased several paragraphs and feel maybe the details are not necessary. But I hope you can understand what I mean. And why I hide.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara, thanks for sharing. You're a strong person to admit that to yourself. I think must people engage in that, but don't realize it. So much of what people do on FB seems like it's to impress others.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think I understand what you're saying, Mara.

In simplest terms the reason I don't like Facebook is because I like privacy. I understand that there's settings and all that, but things happen. I've never been a person to broadcast my personal life to the world and so I don't think Facebook is for me. I joke about being a rebel, but mostly Facebook just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote  

I use Facebook occasionally, mostly to share a really cool movie trailer or a picture I took. I also use it to interact with authors and artists I like as they tend to post books news or pictures of their new artwork there.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One thing that sucks about facebook is sending people private messages. As far as I can tell the only way for someone to actually see a message you send them is to post it on their "wall" for everyone to see. Otherwise it gets sent to an inbox that no one ever looks at. It's supposed to notify them that they got a message, but no one ever responds when I send them one this way.

And if you aren't actually friend's with someone, like for instance you want to tell someone who the heck you are and why you are trying to add them to your friend's list, it won't notify them at all and the only way they will see it is if they check their inbox by chance and see it there. So stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
One thing that sucks about facebook is sending people private messages. As far as I can tell the only way for someone to actually see a message you send them is to post it on their "wall" for everyone to see. Otherwise it gets sent to an inbox that no one ever looks at. It's supposed to notify them that they got a message, but no one ever responds when I send them one this way.

This... is actually significant to me. I recently (a little while before I created this thread) created a temporary Facebook account to try to reconnect with someone from my childhood. I sent her a private message, she never got back to me, so I assumed she was ignoring me.

On another note I have officially decided to make (or rather reactivate) a Facebook. I've reached the point where I feel the costs are beginning to outweigh the rewards of staying off of Facebook and I can see that my good old fashioned stubbornness is a significant - but silly - reason for me not having an account, maybe the main reason. I have also decided to lead the double (or triple?) life on the internet. I like internet anonymity too much to ever completely give it up, so I will have two personas (or more than that if you count forum identities) - my real name and my fake name.

I've lasted 10 years and I don't see this as a defeat. I could go another 10 years, Mr. Zuckerberg, or indeed on into eternity, but I am choosing to make a Facebook account.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote  

Good for you, Reep. Now the governments can have a more complete record of your activities. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 9 of 11