Facebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

This... is actually significant to me. I recently (a little while before I created this thread) created a temporary Facebook account to try to reconnect with someone from my childhood. I sent her a private message, she never got back to me, so I assumed she was ignoring me.

Yeah, in order to view a message from someone that you are not "friends" with, you have to manually go to your messages and check the section called "other", which is basically just your spam/junk mail folder. Most people don't even know about that, and since it does not give you any notification, you'd never have a reason to check it.

Apparently you can send them an email to their username @facebook.com and it will send it to their email address, but I've never tried doing that. My email automatically spams all facebook emails, even if they are from my friends.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So it looks like every one is abandoning facebook to join this new social media site Ello. Ello is supposed to be just like FB, except it's "private" and they don't sell your information... but the site is still founded on investors that are trying to build up a company and sell it off, which is the exact same business model as facebook, and it will ultimately just end the exact same way when that happens.

Not that I really care, I'm just tired of having to keep up with these social media trends. I feel like most of the people here that I resignedly accept a new social media format because that is what everyone else is doing, but each time with less enthusiasm and it results in losing more connections with people than gains.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Gosh darn it! Just as I finally join the bookFace, it's becoming obsolete. Evil or Very Mad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's this great thing called electronic mail. It allows you to send private messages that no one else can see to anyone else with an email. Even if their e-mail address comes from a different site! So if my email if from an older source it still works with wherever the kids are at these days. A lot of email sites even have this thing called Instant Messaging. It's pretty cool. I'm hoping it catches on one day.

Wink

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No one uses that anymore Yoda. It's been years since I've sent or received a personal message in email. The last person who emailed me was my boss.

Most people don't publicly advertise their email accounts. Is yours shown on here? Mine isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What's to publicly advertise? My friends have my email. And more importantly they have my phone number for calls and texting. I use a lot of video chatting as well. If I had a Facebook I wouldn't post it here.

Facebook has it's uses for advertising. And sure it's nice if you want to share vacation photos or something. But at the end of the day there's nothing Facebook can do for meaningful communication that something else can't.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My closest friends and I actually still communicate via email. Not nearly as often as we used to, but I actually use email on a very regular basis.

My best friend moved to North Dakota for the summer, and it is hard for us to mesh schedules for any kind of decent conversation. Hello and how are you are easy enough via text, but we are used to talking for hours on end. So we still email each other quite lengthy discussions.

I don't think it is has died, not quite yet. And it is certainly still extremely alive in the business world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Email won't die unless social media changes dramatically for the simple reason I said before. Any email from any site, (Google, Yahoo, etc) can go to any email from any other site. Also, because there's no profile involved (well, until Google forced Google+ on everyone) you can put a email out publicly, on a business card or a mail list, and the people who have it won't actually know anything about you.

If the day comes were you just make a social network address that can send messages to other social networks I think email will die (except maybe in the business sector). Especially if they really make it to where you can protect your privacy. Being "friends" on any social network is basically making this contact: I'll let you stalk me if you let me stalk you. In cases where you are close friends, this isn't necessarily the case. In the case of that cute guy or girl you've talked to a few times it's completely true.

And I do think people are getting sick of the privacy issues/drama that comes from having our whole lives on display.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
Being "friends" on any social network is basically making this contact: I'll let you stalk me if you let me stalk you. In cases where you are close friends, this isn't necessarily the case. In the case of that cute guy or girl you've talked to a few times it's completely true.

That's my point. In order for someone to have your email you need to give it to them and that requires some other form of communication that you already have established. For a lot of people social media sites have become their primary form of communication.

I have 70 friends on facebook, and most of them are people that I know personally and have met and talked to on many occasions. Most of them are also people who I don't know their phone number, email, or in some cases their last names.
Until social media these people were not called "friends" they were called "acquaintances".

I have waay less "friends" than anyone on my list. The average person has around 200. The people with the most have thousands. Those people have so many because they are people that they have never met and have no connection to outside of social media.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I do admit that being able to have a connection to more people is a cool thing. It's why I go on forums, but I also like the certain amount of anonymity that comes with that. But it makes me ask, if you really don't know someone's last name are you really "friends" outside of what Facebook tells you?

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
I do admit that being able to have a connection to more people is a cool thing. It's why I go on forums, but I also like the certain amount of anonymity that comes with that. But it makes me ask, if you really don't know someone's last name are you really "friends" outside of what Facebook tells you?

I'm of the view that "Facebook Friend" is just a new intermediate level of friend in our society. I had friends on Facebook that I hadn't seen or spoken to in 10 years. The normal definition of "friend" ceases to apply (it's also why I sometimes reject friend requests or even cull my friends list every now and then; I don't have a huge need in my life to see posts from people I've lost touch with).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote  

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I'm of the view that "Facebook Friend" is just a new intermediate level of friend in our society. I had friends on Facebook that I hadn't seen or spoken to in 10 years. The normal definition of "friend" ceases to apply (it's also why I sometimes reject friend requests or even cull my friends list every now and then; I don't have a huge need in my life to see posts from people I've lost touch with).

I mostly agree with this. The one type of "friend" I find really awkward are professors. I have to deal with them professionally and all so it just seems too weird to have them as a FB "friend" where they get to see what I'm up to when I'm not working my tail off. Probably why I put my prof.'s profiles on my block list but I know other people in my program who are FB friends with them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm of the view that "Facebook Friend" is just a new intermediate level of friend in our society.

I agree with this. To me it's like you're more than acquaintances because you have knowledge of each other's lives but you don't necessarily have the emotional connection to be friends. It's kinda like perpetually interacting with that person who sits next to in class who watches that one show you like.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone here use Snapchat? yeah, I know this is the facebook thread, but I do not understand this app.

There's already an app just for sending pictures, instagram. You can post pictures on twitter, facebook, tumblr, etc... Why do people need ten different programs that do the same thing?

I thought that people just used it for sexting. Allegedly they use it for some other reason, I really have no idea what that is?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just made a facebook post "compulsively checking who's online at 4 am" and my friend said, "I am!" and I said, "yeah, you always are. Get a life, bro" because I knew he was at work and I am a loser who is up for no reason, but he took it seriously and blocked me. Now I feel like a total jerk.

Sarcasm over the internet is a bad idea Sad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 10 of 11