Facebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So in anycase. You may have heard about facebook mucking around with new privacy settings and stuff like that. Well I encourage anyone on facebook who is concerned about their privacy to go out and start educating yourself on your settings. In many cases facebook added new controls but defaulted you to pretty open settings. The most disturbing one for me at least is the application permissions. Not only do you need to edit what an application can retain about you but also what your friends applications can retain. For example you can tell a survey not to use your info, but there is another setting for friends. This means a friend that opens themself up to an app can open you up if your settings are not right.

If this is all too confusing go check out some tech blogs that can explain it better (techcrunch.com, allfacebook.com).

Last example - http://graph.facebook.com/zuck - that's Mark Zuckerburg founder of facebook. You can also access the same info with his profile id: http://graph.facebook.com/4 Why is this significant? Because an amateur programmer can just write a script that crawls over all the ids. So what? Well most people have photo albums public, and from the link they could go in and grab photos or anyother personal info you forgot to make private.

Basically just illustrating to anyone out there if you use facebook you may want to be sure you understand all the settings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My stance remains the same: You'll never get me on one of those dreadful starships.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
My stance remains the same: You'll never get me on one of those dreadful starships.

That's what I said, But I was sucked in. *sigh*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yep, too much personal friends and family joined so I hopped onto the bandwagon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wonder how long I will last? I have the horror stories I've heard on my side though... Confused

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I predict you'll last until you get into college, Reep. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yes i have a facebook feel free to add me i accept all Friend Request.

Name: Marty Martina

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So if you want a very simple check of what facebook info is made public check this out:
http://zesty.ca/facebook/

It will output all the sections of your profile, click on it and it will load the public data if there is any.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote  

Ok I've got a question. Specifically about the Facebook "Like" button. Namely what exactly are the social implications of someone liking your status or a post you make on their wall? Also is there some particular etiquette governing the use of the "Like" button?

I ask as none of my friends nor myself have ever used the like button before. But now one of my new friends does use the like button and I'm completely at a lose as to what this means (aside from the obvious fact that it indicates they don't hate/dislike it).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a facebook but don't really use it extensively, and I've never "liked" something, but it's my understanding that it just says you liked the post. And that's all it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't have a Facebook, myself. Honestly, I think the whole game is a little silly. There are already so many ways to talk to people out there, like the Cantina here, why in the world do I need yet another one? And besides, it takes way too much energy/time to keep up with the thing. So...no Facebook for me.

As for the Like button, I don't think it's any different than the Like button on YouTube. It's just to indicate you like something, "Hey, that's pretty cool." Or "Ha, that was funny." It's a way to let your friends know something you "liked". It also doubles as a feedback system for the original poster. Again, while this can be fun to an extent, it can also get out of hand. Some people will "like" anythng they click on. And vice versa. Confused

But anyway...as you can see, I'm a little cynical toward the whole Facebook thing. But hey, to each their own. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I made mine back when I was in college and it was exclusive to college students and was useful in that regard...

Now I check it very sporadically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I use Facebook all the time to keep up with friends and classmates. And Salaris, as they said, the "Like" button simply means they liked what you said. It can also mean that they didn't have time or didn't feel comfortable leaving an actual comment. My FB friends use it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly facebook is the only way I keep up with some people. I have a couple people from here on my facebook actually, but I message people when my phone is dead and stuff. Its just useful

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Someday soon, I hope to make a list of reasons I don't have a Facebook account on my blog. Basically I don't think it's an evil conspiracy or anything, it's just not for me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 10