Battlefront I & II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battlefront I & II
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote  

So I noticed we have no thread devoted to the first two Battlefronts. I loved those two games and I have started to think about trying them out again since they were real nice non-hard core shooters.

Perhaps one of my favorite memories was the epic space battles you could get into online in BF II. Back then I was addicted to flight sims so I was pretty good and it was always awesome when I would run across another ace pilot on the other side. I know a few times I ran into this guy and we would pretty much spend the entire match dueling. I always partially suspected that we both gunned for each other to try to save the rest of the pilots on our respective teams from getting slaughtered.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yea, the space battles were epic in Battlefront II. Back when I used to play online on the PS2, I would get a bunch of guys together on a full space server, get into a landing craft, and board the enemy capital ship. We would kick so much butt on it.

Re: Battlefront I & II
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:
So I noticed we have no thread devoted to the first two Battlefronts. I loved those two games and I have started to think about trying them out again since they were real nice non-hard core shooters.

Me and my son still play them religiously.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I wish they would have blended the two better- like you can't "Space" fly no Jedi or running in 1, but you can't lay down like you could on the first. Plus there are some fun levels in the first that just aren't there in the 2nd.

I'd say IF they ever did a 3rd they should add all the 1,2, and PSP versions in a multiplayer mode.

But man I loved those space battles, but I want one like X-wing (or Starfighter's controls) but one where you can Fly off for days.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote  

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
I wish they would have blended the two better- like you can't "Space" fly no Jedi or running in 1, but you can't lay down like you could on the first. Plus there are some fun levels in the first that just aren't there in the 2nd.

I'd say IF they ever did a 3rd they should add all the 1,2, and PSP versions in a multiplayer mode.

But man I loved those space battles, but I want one like X-wing (or Starfighter's controls) but one where you can Fly off for days.

It would be awesome if they let you go prone again, it'd really help out snipers. I'd also like it if they brought back the sniper's orbital bombardment instead of exploding droid thing. On BF I's Kashyyyk Dock level there were many matches against the computer where I would be the last guy standing on my team where I would hole up in one of the towers next to a resupply droid and spam orbital bombardmets on the bridge leading up to the tower. I'd usually take out a dozen or more guys and sometimes even win. I suppose with BF II's enclosed levels that wouldn't work at all but it would be nice if they edited it so it would work on open levels.

One thing I'd also like is if they let you decide to equip the upgrade weapons rather than being forced to use them. For certain classes the default guns were better for certain class play styles.

One of my favorite levels from BF I was the Kashyyyk Island level. If you played as Rebels/Republic I always found it was critical to defend your air field.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:

It would be awesome if they let you go prone again, it'd really help out snipers. I'd also like it if they brought back the sniper's orbital bombardment instead of exploding droid thing. .

My fav B1 was Cloud City- I'd lay at the mid hallway and snipe the courtyard while my son would launch grenades down the hall keeping the enemy at bay!

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You can get the original SWBFI maps for the PC version of SWBFII.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote  

I always thought it would be cool if they had a hero bonus for the space battles but instead of just getting the hero, you got their ship too. So like Vader would get his TIE advanced 1, Han would get the Falcon, etc.

And why didn't they include the B-Wing?

Plus I think a little more tweaking needs to go into the big assault walkers. It's not that fun driving them.

But there's nothing quite like doing the hero battle on Mos Eisley in BF II. I had lots of fun playing that level with my friends. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I always thought it would be cool if they had a hero bonus for the space battles but instead of just getting the hero, you got their ship too. So like Vader would get his TIE advanced 1, Han would get the Falcon, etc.

And why didn't they include the B-Wing?

Plus I think a little more tweaking needs to go into the big assault walkers. It's not that fun driving them.

But there's nothing quite like doing the hero battle on Mos Eisley in BF II. I had lots of fun playing that level with my friends. Very Happy

Yeah and the Bonus material-- I so want Kit Fisto and Asajj to play.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote  

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Yeah and the Bonus material-- I so want Kit Fisto and Asajj to play.

LA would have made a ton of money if they had supported the games more and released expansions for more than just the xbox.

I think as far as assault walkers go what they really need to do is create much much larger vehicle maps. The maps are good but they never got to a size where infantry combat came secondary to vehicles. Having used the walkers a few times before I really think map size is the problem since they don't really allow anything except going straight down the center and blasting everything near by. Despite being assault walkers the maps limit the potential tactics that you can use with them. That's a real shame with both games because on Hoth it doesn't really test the Rebel team's defensive abilities as much as it should (or is portrayed in the movies).

Despite those flaws though I think I'm going to get back into playing BFII again. Of the classes they added I thought the Clone Commander was the most awesome. I loved playing the Death Star level and just sitting outside the main prison block corridor and mowing down anyone trying to come down it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:

Despite those flaws though I think I'm going to get back into playing BFII again. Of the classes they added I thought the Clone Commander was the most awesome. I loved playing the Death Star level and just sitting outside the main prison block corridor and mowing down anyone trying to come down it.

We playing everyday it seems. It's 1 or 2. I have them on Xbox,but missed out on ONLINE Xbox action. I wonder if my Action Replay could get me the content...?

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote  

Jedi Joe wrote:
You can get the original SWBFI maps for the PC version of SWBFII.

Yeah I just checked it out on Fileplanet (run by IGN). Looks very impressive. I think once I get back into the swing of BF II I might check that out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Whoo! My mom just picked this up for me at Goodwill for $5. Can't wait to play it. Have heard so much good about it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Whoo! My mom just picked this up for me at Goodwill for $5. Can't wait to play it. Have heard so much good about. Smile

I know I was upset to find out the xbox's xbox live was being dropped. I've no one but my kids to play, and my son's gotten WAY too good for me.

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Whoo! My mom just picked this up for me at Goodwill for $5. Can't wait to play it. Have heard so much good about. Smile

Wow. I just sold the Xbox version (sealed) for $55. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 1 of 2