NO Imperial Commando 2 from Traviss!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Shocked NOOOOOOOOO! How could this happen? I am horrified. There's simply no other word for it. I was so looking forward to Imperial Commando 2. *sob* So, what, are they just gonna leave the plot hanging? Or worse, get somebody else to finish it. Sad

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Shocked NOOOOOOOOO! How could this happen? I am horrified. There's simply no other word for it. I was so looking forward to Imperial Commando 2. *sob* So, what, are they just gonna leave the plot hanging? Or worse, get somebody else to finish it. Sad

I'm in the "Or worse" category at the moment, I want a conclusion. If Karen won't I hope some one who could do it well; will step in. I hope it's Ryder Windham or Able Pena.

And yes, I know it's blasphemy to want Someone else to finish a series, but I was ok with it for Blood Oath (which didn't happen) so I'm ok with it here.

After all Karen's made it clear she WILL NOT be back :sobs:

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'd love a conclusion, too. It's just that I shudder to think of what could happen to the story in the wrong hands. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Confused Okay, I'm away for a couple of days, and THIS gets dropped on me?!? I read her(KT) blog post very carefully, and I've come to the conclusion that it was money-matters that got to KT. Maybe the checks weren't coming in on time, or whatever, but I think she kind of owed it to the fans to at least let us know that she was dropping the series before ImpCom came out; also, a bit more resolution of the storyline would have been nice! Mad Either way, something smells fishy, here!
Too bad the series is getting hung out to dry.. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I had a similar feeling...

And yeah if she knew she wasn't going to do IC2 then why not finish 501st more like a final story. Alas so much to contemplate.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

KT's follow-up blog, with some (?) clarification:

http://karentraviss.typepad.com/blog/2009/12/journalism-fail-sort-of.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote  

I don't like this. I think it looks bad on Traviss' part that she is walking away from it without resolving her characters and her story. It's a shame. I would think with the huge investment in these characters that some other author will eventually step in and give them some use. I'm not sure if anyone will wrap it up, but I imagine they might throw in some small snippets that wrap up parts of the story line at least.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I gotta say I read KT's blog followup and was disappointed (again)- I would have liked to see her finish the series. Professional differences happen, I do I agree she writes for a living, and if the creative desire is not there then that is also a big issue. We all have to make tough decisions in life - I have had a few for sure. I have stayed at jobs I hated for the sake of family and responsibility. I have left jobs I hated but always left on an up note regardless of how bad things went. I recognized that its about more than just me and tried to help my co-workers. Call it professional responsibility or just being a good person. Yes its all business in the end, we all need that paycheck, but you should never lose sight of where that check comes from. That would us by the way.

Then again I know nothing about KT's situation so who am I to rant?

Personally I just wish both sides could have worked out so the series could have been finished. Oh well. Maybe they will find another rock-star writer and we will be saying Karen who.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It sounds to me it's about the $$ and this continuity thing is the excuse. They came up with a pretty quick retconn to make it all fit. I don't care what she says, she DID NOT have to give a definitive answer to quit SW books. She could have voiced her opinion and looked ahead to see if it would work out. Since such a quick resolution was made, she could have made IC2, even it was two years later due to the problems.

And you know what, I don't pay her bills, so she's got to make whatever financial moves she needs to. However, had she any professional pride I would think the would have finished off this series, then walked away.

She made it pretty clear that she is all about the bottom line, and does not really care about her own storylines. Her bluntness in that fact kind of surprised me. Yes, we are SW nuts, but I would think you would have some kind of emotional attachment to your stories.

Oh well, enough ranting. Just gotta hope someone else finishes the stroy. And contraty to opinions above, it would not bother me at being finished by another author, so long as it is a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

comanderbly wrote:
I gotta say I read KT's blog followup and was disappointed (again)- I would have liked to see her finish the series. Professional differences happen, I do I agree she writes for a living, and if the creative desire is not there then that is also a big issue. We all have to make tough decisions in life - I have had a few for sure. I have stayed at jobs I hated for the sake of family and responsibility. I have left jobs I hated but always left on an up note regardless of how bad things went. I recognized that its about more than just me and tried to help my co-workers. Call it professional responsibility or just being a good person. Yes its all business in the end, we all need that paycheck, but you should never lose sight of where that check comes from. That would us by the way.

Then again I know nothing about KT's situation so who am I to rant?

Personally I just wish both sides could have worked out so the series could have been finished. Oh well. Maybe they will find another rock-star writer and we will be saying Karen who.

Ryder Windham, Able Pena, Karen Miller.....these I think have a chance of picking up the reigns.

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Karen Miller.....now there's an idea. She might be able to pick up where Traviss left off. Maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Karen Miller.....now there's an idea. She might be able to pick up where Traviss left off. Maybe.

I liked her clone wars book. This isn't too far off that path, so maybe so. I have to think the outcry over on the swboards has to have them thinking this series has to be tied up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

kurtdc wrote:

I liked her clone wars book. This isn't too far off that path, so maybe so. I have to think the outcry over on the swboards has to have them thinking this series has to be tied up.

Check out Secret Missions Breakout Squadron- Ryder has a very KT style.

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
kurtdc wrote:

Check out Secret Missions Breakout Squadron- Ryder has a very KT style.

This is a non-starwars book?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:

I'm holding out hope for there being a sect of pacifist mando's and then the whole other crew of mando's we know and love. The pacifists can be from their Mandalore, while the other's can be from the Mandalore from the books. And then if they each consider themselves true mandos, that would explain why they each consider their planet mandalore.

That's what I'm hoping too. When I say this I don't want to pry into Karen Travis' personal life, but I almost wonder if TCW wasn't the only problem? I'm not going to speculate because, frankly, it isn't our buisness. I'm just wondering if TCW messed up Mando continuity as much as we're fearing. I haven't actually read any Commando books (I'll start soon, I swear), but I have a strong feeling I'll grow very attached to them and won't want to see the characters left hanging. So I say if any author wants to pick up Karen Travis' mantle (just please not Denning), then, I say, all power to them.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 7