The Harry Potter Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@ Padme: so no Wizards at all?

In general, no. It's just not something I'm particularly comfortable with. Like you said though, it probably wouldn't be so bad if interest in the actual occult wasn't so high. Granted, most kids aren't gonna go out and try to perform a ritual sacrifice or anything, but I don't really like how movies and books like Potter portray spells and witchcraft as something that can either be used as good or evil. As for it being the same as Jedi and the Force, to me, it's not. The Force is a completely fictional energy field, not something that was conjured by witchcraft. But that's just how I feel about it. I know people who won't watch Star Wars because of that, and that's just their conviction. *shrugs*

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote  

Well most of the spell stuff in Harry Potter is fictional. Witchcraft can't make flying brooms or shoot green bolts of energy out of a wand and kill people. About the only magic in the books that is close to real life would be the potions stuff.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

well imo..frm wat i know...its the acts an individual has to do inorder to do magic is why its considered wrong( as is my knowledge.
But Take those acts outta the picture...im ok wid it.

The Force is Sci-Fi...While Wizardry is more like DungeonAndDragons Very Happy
I luv DandD...Orcs, Elves, Mages, Paladins...EPIC!!!

I believe in Prophet Jesus as well uknow...just not exactly like The Church does. Its funny how similar Christianity, Judaism and Islam is. I only found out recently=p
The Religous folk here, well some of them declared HarryPotter infit to read as well. Something abt showing magic in a gudlight....and my frnd hasnt read the HP series cuz of that...he and I hav been arguing fr AGES...we both believe we can make the other one see the =light= Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Skuldren, which book did you enjoy the most?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote  

Oh, I think I'm going to have to go with Order of the Phoenix. Though I loved Moody in Goblet of Fire.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Right on. I have a hard time choosing. All I know is that number seven is my least favorite.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That must've been a let down. All that hype for naught.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote  

You didn't like the last book OMB? I thought that last few books were some of the strongest in the series, because they did mature a lot as the series went on (of course the characters themselves got older, so it makes sense). I don't think I could pick one out and say it's my least favorite. To me, the whole series was strong and I thought all the books were good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You didn't like the last book OMB? I thought that last few books were some of the strongest in the series, because they did mature a lot as the series went on (of course the characters themselves got older, so it makes sense). I don't think I could pick one out and say it's my least favorite. To me, the whole series was strong and I thought all the books were good.

I didn't like Order of the Phoenix but the last two and Goblet of Fire were definately the ones I saw as the strongest in the series.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

For me the book2 will always be the weakest one...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Like I said, I enjoyed all of the books so much that I have a hard time picking a favorite. Even the early books (just re-read number 2, and noticed a few hints about book seven. That's one thing I love - how it all connects). But, I had initial bad feelings toward 7. I hated it as I read it, and though I like it more now, there are chapters in it that I hate. And I've never had that in any other book, so that makes 7 my least favorite.

For one, the Hogwarts battle chapter.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Also, the characters all seemed off to me. The portrayal of them, what they said, how they acted. It all seemed like a different version from the previous 6. Everything felt different, and rushed. Not so much the plot, but the characters. Maybe she was out of her element by not focusing on the school. I'm not sure. I just can't get into that book (though there are some really good chapters).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is a very, very interesting documentary on J.K Rowling. Any Harry Potter fan will like it for the insight into the author, and anyone who doesn't like Harry Potter would enjoy seeing it to learn more about the woman who wrote the books they don't like.

It is in six parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1l4WYk4aQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qjIaWwcfI&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKcds594WM&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvTc3KnO-Q&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-bOivUzcrg&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIp2uqbIig&feature=channel

I highly recommend it to anyone, fan or hater, or just not sure.

For myself, it showed me a lot about her. Some key things I see she has wrong, but I think her heart is in the right place in every way besides a key spiritual question, which I hope she gets right, but which I can see why she has issues with, based on her life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote  

I'll have to watch these when I have time. Thanks for the links OMB. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New trailer for Deathly Hallows (trailer is for both parts.)

I really hated the teaser trailer, but this one is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXH0Ackz6w

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote  

I'm not sure I can allow myself to watch the trailer and get all hyped up yet. Oh, but it's so tempting... Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 6