Taking a Step Back
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taking a Step Back
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Being the idealist I am and wanting to enjoy The Clone Wars despite my love for Mandalorians, I did some research on Wookieepedia to try and put my mind at ease. I'm not very well versed in Mando history and I just assumed they were much the same during the Clone Wars as they were during Legacy of the Force. Apparentley not.

Before the Clone Wars the Mando way of life was already in peril. The Death Watch and the True Mandalorian's (the one's I know and love Razz ) were at war and, once the smoke cleared the Mandalorians were in chaos. Most of them were mercs and the rest of them were divided into factions. Is it really such a stretch that someone (Satine, anyone?) would attempt to mend them and turn them into a model civilazation?

Does this mean I like the idea of Mandalorians going pacifist? Absolutley not. Come to think of it, I'm not too fussy about the Empire commiting genocide either, but it makes a good story.

As for the planet Mandalore, if it's hazardous environment is due to bombing. That means it wasn't always like that and can easily be cleansed in time for 40 ABY.

Karen Travis has said that the reason she left was because of conflict over publishers and pay, not necessarily the Mando contradictions. When you really think about it The Clone Wars doesn't seem all that contradictory and I don't see any reason why the Mandalorians I know and love can't exist in the same galaxy as the New Mandalorians.

There might be something I'm missing, but as the situation is right now, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't stop shaking my stick and just enjoy it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote  

I can endure it, but the sooner Satine dies, the better Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have to say, I don't even watch it anymore. That is a true bummer to me, because I love pretty all things SW/EU and was looking forward to this cartoon. But it's so kiddish compared to the novels, and full of continuity errors(not that I'm one of those continuity idealists), that I've lost interest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I can endure it, but the sooner Satine dies, the better Cool

Amen, DS. I'm sticking with it, but I'm ready for the Mando arc of episodes to be over.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote  

Let's take a step back and let the real Mandos take aim at the beloved Duchess of Mandalore...

...Ahhh, the wonderful sound of a blessed retcon. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Let's take a step back and let the real Mandos take aim at the beloved Duchess of Mandalore...

...Ahhh, the wonderful sound of a blessed retcon. Very Happy

I LOVE your new banner DS!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:
I have to say, I don't even watch it anymore. That is a true bummer to me, because I love pretty all things SW/EU and was looking forward to this cartoon. But it's so kiddish compared to the novels, and full of continuity errors(not that I'm one of those continuity idealists), that I've lost interest.

What continuity errors are there? Seriously, the only ones I can think of are extremely nitpicky ones (Anakin's scar, Grievous's cough, starfighter models), Eeth Koth (his death was never confirmed anyway), Ahsoka (who doesn't directly interfere with anyone and I belive her presence, or someone like her, is necessary) and the Mandalorians (which, as I showed above, doesn't contradict either). I swear I'm not being payed by Dave Filoni or GL to say this, I honestly don't think we have any reason to be upset.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote  

Well the only retcons that bothered me was Ryloth not being an tidal inhospital desert planet with a scorching sun (like in the novels) and then the Mandalorians being pacifists. There might have been one other thing, but I can't think of it now, so it's probably not important.

To be honest, I'll get over the Mando thing, just give me a few months. But Satine still must die.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not saying major continuity things, but this whole mando thing really caused a fuss, and sure it's being retconned to work, but it is a serious stretch.

I suppose I'll sit down and watch em all in a row some time, but I'd much rather read one of the books than watch the show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But it doesn't contradict at all, it only expands. If there was a book about the New Mandalorians, while there might be a little bit (but only because of its weirdness), there wouldn't be this amount of people freaking out.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well the only retcons that bothered me was Ryloth not being an tidal inhospital desert planet with a scorching sun (like in the novels) and then the Mandalorians being pacifists. There might have been one other thing, but I can't think of it now, so it's probably not important.

To be honest, I'll get over the Mando thing, just give me a few months. But Satine still must die.

Messing with the planets is just lame. it's very hard to retcon those away Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See the planet thing doesn't bother me that much other than it's just plain unneccesary.

Like the movie the Firm. I had read the book first(which, as usual, was much better than the movie). I realize plot's get altered to fit in the time frame of a movie. But I recall in the book they made a big deal about the type of car he got(a BMW or a Benz). In the movie they used the other one(I can't recall which one had the which car) and to me that was just a stupid alteration for no reason. Why couldn't it be the same as the book? Small detail, but it bothered me.

I see the planet thing the same way. It's really not a big deal at all. On the other hand, why couldn't they stick with established continuity. I swear GL does these things purely for the ego shot of "I'm the boss, and I'll change what I want".

The mando thing? Fine, he had a vision for it and it is ultimately his baby. I think the planet thing bothers me more.

But yes, I bought the Blue Ray set of season one, and I'll do the same for season two. So why complain I guess?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote  

Somewhat unrelated, but maybe the Twi'lek's cone ears help keep the sand out. Assuming there's sand on Ryloth. Or dust if there's dust storms.

...I need to stop thinking about Twi'leks. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

kurtdc wrote:
See the planet thing doesn't bother me that much other than it's just plain unneccesary.

And that is precisely what sets me off about it. Un necessary and it didn't ADD anything to SW, all I saw it doing was damaging SWEU for an un necessary reason.

It didn't leave me thinking "Wow GL your vision is so much greater then what I was told about Ryloth before." It was a total "WTF.....uh why?"

Quote:

Like the movie the Firm. I had read the book first(which, as usual, was much better than the movie). I realize plot's get altered to fit in the time frame of a movie. But I recall in the book they made a big deal about the type of car he got(a BMW or a Benz). In the movie they used the other one(I can't recall which one had the which car) and to me that was just a stupid alteration for no reason. Why couldn't it be the same as the book? Small detail, but it bothered me.

This makes me think- books are ALWAYS better. Right? I've always heard this- I've often thought this. Yet with SW the fans are split over wheather this is true or not. For if it is then by default SWEU is better then the movies and fans don't like to think that.

Then there is the whole copy right issues- like the "Planet Hulk" movie= they couldn't tell the Planet Hulk story the right way due to issues contractually about getting the Silver Surfer into the film- (some reason Marvel couldn't use their marvel character (hmm cause Sony still has the rights for Xmen, Spiderman and FF and oh yeah Silver Surfer was in the 2nd FF film and is now off limits to Marvel for their movie) So Silver Surfer (who was called Silver Savage in the story) had to be replaced with Beta Ray Bill- same fight just different characters.

GL doesn't have to worry about that I think, or you'd have heard about it I'm sure. But it makes you wonder why he makes some choices when they do nothing to further HIS story and only take away or discard bits of SWEU continuity.

Quote:

I see the planet thing the same way. It's really not a big deal at all. On the other hand, why couldn't they stick with established continuity. I swear GL does these things purely for the ego shot of "I'm the boss, and I'll change what I want".

See I was ok with Bothawu add a planet change a name easy to fix. But changing a planets rotation is just silly. Why couldn't it have been a second planet? Or the one in SWEU was a 2nd colony world. That's why it bothers me so.

Quote:

The mando thing? Fine, he had a vision for it and it is ultimately his baby. I think the planet thing bothers me more.

Agreed- I can see ways to fit the 2 mando versions into one continuity. Fixing the planet- I'm just at a loss.

-
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Somewhat unrelated, but maybe the Twi'lek's cone ears help keep the sand out. Assuming there's sand on Ryloth. Or dust if there's dust storms.

...I need to stop thinking about Twi'leks. Cool

I still can't believe they made those cones the females ears....just plain weird.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 2