The Indiana Jones Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Indiana Jones Thread
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote  

Welcome to the Indiana Jones thread! Discuss everything Indy!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha! Lol this thread was inevitable, its a Lucas franchise...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've only seen Temple of Doom, didn't really care for it though. *shrugs*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I've only seen Temple of Doom, didn't really care for it though. *shrugs*

Temple of Doom was like the second worst one. The best one was the first, followed by the Last Crusade, followed by Temple of Doom, and bringin up the rear would be Crystal Skull.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote  

You have not seen The Lost Ark and The Last Crusade? Shocked

They are definitely worth renting. I always liked them better than Temple of Doom.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:
Temple of Doom was like the second worst one. The best one was the first, followed by the Last Crusade, followed by Temple of Doom, and bringin up the rear would be Crystal Skull.

Aha, and now starts the debate! I call it as:
1: Raiders
2: Last Crusade
3: Crystal Skull

15: Temple of Doom.

As you can see, my dislike for Temple of Doom rivals my affection for the other three. I'm not saying that Crystal Skull was perfect or even as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, but I stand by my opinion that it was good.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote  

I'm going to rate them as such...

1. The Last Crusade: because of Sean Connery and the flash back with River Phoenix
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark: snake pit = classic
3. Temple of Doom: heart being ripped out of chest scene = hardcore awesome!
4. Crystal Skull: enjoyable, it loses to the others because I didn't find the Russians as enjoyable as the Germans, plus the monkey vine scene was absolutely stupid (my only real gripe with the movie)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'm going to rate them as such...

1. The Last Crusade: because of Sean Connery and the flash back with River Phoenix
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark: snake pit = classic
3. Temple of Doom: heart being ripped out of chest scene = hardcore awesome!
4. Crystal Skull: enjoyable, it loses to the others because I didn't find the Russians as enjoyable as the Germans, plus the monkey vine scene was absolutely stupid (my only real gripe with the movie)

I'll agree about the vine swinging. The only scene in that movie than I cannot and will not defend.

I LOVED Last Crusade (Connery owned), but am prevented from ranking it as number one because Marion was so much better than Elsa. The female lead is too big of a thing for me to overlook. I could almost be persuaded that Connery makes up for this, but not quite. Willie is part of the reason I despise Temple of Doom, but I can't lay my hatred of that movie solely at her feet. I just didn't like the plot at all. It had it's cool moments, but I just didn't care like I did in Raiders, Last Crusade, or even Crystal Skull.

EDIT: Ok, I'm thinking about it and am conflicted about whether Raiders or Last Crusade wins. I enjoyed Last Crusade more, but I think that Raiders was overall a better movie. There. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would rate them...

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - The classic, and perfect, Indy movie.
2. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I actually liked seeing an older Indy, and moving on from the Nazi plots to something a bit more fresh like the alien B movies. Yeah, there's suspension of disbelief, but no more so than any of the other flicks. I thought it was solid.
3. The Last Crusade - I'm sorry. I know this is a classic and much beloved, but I loathe the humor in this movie. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me. It's far too funny, and I'm not a big fan of Sean Connery.
4. The Temple of Doom - Ugh. Willie. The most annoying female lead in the history of cinema.

Just my opinions! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote  

You have to admit though, perhaps the best scene out of any Indy movie was when he shot the guy with the sword. Almost reminds you of how Han Solo was supposed to be...

And then there was the ultimate setup with that cave in South America with the traps, the golden idol, and the boulder. Another priceless moment.

Hmm, Raiders was indeed an epic classic. Certainly worthy of the number one spot. I will concede that I could rate either one, Raiders or Crusade, as my number one pick. Both were very good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
4. The Temple of Doom - Ugh. Willie. The most annoying female lead in the history of cinema.:

Poor Kate Capshaw. I don't blame her, she just played it how George and Steven wanted her to. But, man, was it painful. Especially following Marion. The only redeeming quality in ToD was Shorty. Loved that kid. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote  

I would agree that out of all the leading ladies, I liked Marion the best. Of course the one turned out to be a traitor, but still, neither of the two blonds were all that great. Now the Russian lady in number four did a pretty good job as a bad guy. Even the whole psychic bit was believable because the Russians were into that stuff, and they never had her actually using it to move stuff around or do anything over the top crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

How Different would The Indiana franchise be, If Tom Selleck Played the lead:o
which was Lucas's first choice*

imo, it wudve been the granddaddy of all mistakes-_-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote  

FatalFist wrote:
How Different would The Indiana franchise be, If Tom Selleck Played the lead:o
which was Lucas's first choice*

imo, it wudve been the granddaddy of all mistakes-_-

it really is inconceivable of having anyone other than Harrison Ford as Indy.

As for how I would rank the movies:

Raiders

Last Crusade Honestly though I could easily make a case for putting Last Crusade first as they both had very memorable moments/quotes along with great acting and a great score. While Elsie wasn't of the same quality as Marion as a surprise villain she did a good job and unlike Willie you could at least see why Indy might like her.

Crystal Skull. Bringing back Marion in my opinion is enough to place it ahead of Temple of Doom. Cate Blanchett did a great job as the Russian villain, so much so that I'm kinda sorry they had to kill her off because she would have been an awesome nemesis to make returns in future Indy stories.

Temple of Doom. The character of Willie pretty much kills it for me because I can't see any reason why Indy would want her along on an adventure. She also isn't significantly more attractive than Marion or Elsie so taking her along just for looks doesn't really make sense to me either. I don't blame the actress of course but the movie would have been a lot better if they had made the character more like Marion or Elsie. Short Round was a redeeming character for me, although I have a friend who despises him. So all in all while the story wasn't bad the character of Willie makes it impossible to rank the movie up there with Raiders or Last Crusade.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So, I just watched Last Crusade again and I am now convinced that it is on equal footing with Raiders. My only complaint is Elsa. It's like they couldn't decide whether to make her a villain to hate or sympathetic. The result is that at the end, the only reason I even care whether she lives or dies is out of fan loyalty to Marion. Anyway, the argument has been made that there's too much humor. While I can understand this opinion, I'd like to point out that there wasn't a single line or exchange that made me cringe. I find all of it more genuinely funny that most comedies these days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2