Invasion comics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invasion comics
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote  

Invasion: Refugees
Invasion: Rescues
Invasion: Revelation (upcoming, issue one comes out July 13)

The Invasion comic series takes place in 25 ABY during the Yuuzhan Vong war. It stars an original cast but with lots of existing characters as the supporting cast. For instance one of the main characters is Finn Galidrian and he often travels with Jacen and Jaina.

First off, let me say that reading this series is very nostalgic, and it does a great job of capturing the essence of the NJO. There's gritty drama and a good balance of humor as well. The storytelling is also a lot like reading a graphic novel. Sometimes parts of a story in a comic feel rushed because they want to move on to the action, but Invasion isn't afraid to linger on a particularly moving scene to fully develop the characters and the story.

Secondly the art is very good. The artist does take some liberties with drawing the canon characters, so that might take some getting used to, but the other characters look great. Plus it's awesome to see the Vong and all their biots.

And the series is packed with cameos: from Lowbacca to Tsavong Lah. I highly recommend checking it out. Well worth buying the trade paperbacks. Amazon had them really cheap.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

what's with all the R titles? ugh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote  

Oh, come on. Surely you have a better complaint that "R" titles Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I read the first few issues, what's the time frame? I thought it was between either VP and the Stackpole duology, or between the Stackpole duology and the Luceno duology, correct? Has it advanced at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Oh, come on. Surely you have a better complaint that "R" titles Laughing

nope

Razz

seriously, I just haven't gotten around to reading any of it yet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

LivingJediDream wrote:
I read the first few issues, what's the time frame? I thought it was between either VP and the Stackpole duology, or between the Stackpole duology and the Luceno duology, correct? Has it advanced at all?

I had heard that the first arc takes place over the first year of the war.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote  

Well it says it's taking place in 25 ABY. Chewie is dead and everyone knows about the Vong invasion and worlds are starting to be taken over by the Vong, plus the Jedi are reacting to the situation, though towards the end Luke has adopted his defensive stance. It's a pretty good story so far over all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well it says it's taking place in 25 ABY. Chewie is dead and everyone knows about the Vong invasion and worlds are starting to be taken over by the Vong, plus the Jedi are reacting to the situation, though towards the end Luke has adopted his defensive stance. It's a pretty good story so far over all.

My only issue is that the comic seems to cover a long timespan. Arc one alone seemed to branch out into a year. And I only felt that way due to the background characters- aka the main ones for the NJO- they were acting more like they should mid way through the novels not at the start.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote  

Beautiful new cover for Invasion: Revelations #4 has been released. I love this one. Chris Scalf really does a nice job.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Finally got Revelations #1 read today (didn't get it with my comics last week [boo hiss]).

One thing I love about this story is how Luke Skywalker gets some moments that places the story in context with the NJO series. This one shows Luke on Dantooine (so story takes place right after Onslaught) and shows him defending the refugees. The art was amazing! I want a comic just showing Luke kicking Yuuzhan Vong behind throughout the whole war!!...or at least when he gets over his inner turmoil of "Are the Yuuzhan Vong alive since I can't sense them in the Force?" If the art had included Anakin and Jacen, who did fight beside Luke in this battle, it would have been epic.

Everyone, check out this issue at least for the awesome Luke vs Yuuzhan Vong art! Very Happy

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote  

I agree, the Luke scenes at the beginning had that epic quality to them. They were really nice. However, I do have a small gripe with the rest of the story. In my opinion, these flow much better as TPB's than individual comics. It's a really nice story but it's hard to just read it in small chunks. Maybe I'm just impatient. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That is a problem with comics right now: you get chapters of a book. Because of that, it's almost worth waiting for the trades. If you look at old comics, they were one story per issue. However, there are writers that can make a chapter feel like a single story and that makes the waits a lot easier. But I can be impatient, too Very Happy

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote  

New cover for Invasion: Revelations #5 revealed along with synopsis
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

They did some interesting things in issue #2, so it'll be neat to see where they go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the invasion story so far. I got volumes one and two (refugees and rescues)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well the last Revelation issue confirms that they are 2 months deep into the Invasion.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2